Join professional artist David R. Smith where he will walk you through painting a beautiful misty mountain scene. Filmed live from Minnesota on 9th March 2021.
See Reference photo and recommended materials below.
In this workshop you will learn the technique of soft and lost edges which will give rise to the impression of a soft sky and the mist over the mountains that David will help you create. You will learn through multiple techniques using a brush, spattered water and a sponge how to paint organic looking trees concentrating on the amazing birch trees using masking and a palette knife and the positioning of Geese to add movement to the scene.
Unlock Workshop Video
Complimentary unlock if you attended the workshop and are a Patron Level 2+. Simply message us on Patreon
(If you have paid to unlock the video but still can't see using the link at the top of this page, click here to visit our unlock page)
See Reference photo and recommended materials below:
Recommended materials list
(Click image below and get 10% OFF your first order from Jackson's art - ships globally)
Usual Supplies: palette, water container, masking tape, clips, towels, Kleenex, large spray bottle, hair dryer, pencil/eraser, etc.
- High quality 140lb Cold Press Paper (Arches, Fabriano Artistico, etc). Size: 11”x15”.
- Optional: Graphite Paper or Transfer Paper
- Professional Brand Tube Paint:
Quinacridone Gold, Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine Blue, and Indigo.
On palette: Winsor Lemon or Bismuth Vanadate Yellow (QoR), Cadmium Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Quinacridone Gold, Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Blue, Cerulean Blue, Thalo Blue, Cobalt Teal (or Turquoise), Alizarin Crimson, Winsor Red or Joe’s Red, Opera (Holbein), Viridian, Sap Green, Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Dioxazine Purple, Indigo, Payne’s Gray, and White Gouache.
- Brushes: A variety of Synthetic Brushes: Escoda Round (Perla) size 12. Faux Squirrel 1827 Liner Aux. Reservoir size 12 (Dynasty). A 1.5” Flat Brush (Miller’s Pseudo Sable Mottler), and a variety of large rounds and mops. There are many options. David's favourites are the Princeton Aqua Elite Quill #6, Da Vinci Cosmotop Spin (size 24), and the Escoda Prado (size 16).
- Brushes for lifting: #4 & #16 Fritch Scrubber (Cheap Joe) and the #2 Artisan Short Flat/Bright long handled (Winsor & Newton). Optional: Magic Eraser.
- Masking Fluid (Recom